Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Chocolate and Oppression

I was thinking about chocolate and oppression. Funny combination, but here is the context. I had just picked up some cocoa powder from our local co-op and the cocoa powder had a “fair trade” symbol on it. After attending a chocolate class, I became aware of the oppression that can take place in harvesting chocolate. So, I bought fair trade chocolate when that was an option and when it was not an option, I just bought whatever was available and met the desire I had.

Not long ago I read this post and this post. It hit me again and caused me to ask myself why I was willing to justify my desire to have chocolate (for cookies, or baking or drinking or whatever) in spite of oppression that took place in the lives of many who harvest the beans?

Then I read this. Proverbs 22:16 “Whoever oppresses the poor to increase his wealth…” And it dawned on me that I am rich when compared to the people that are harvesting cocoa beans and my purchasing non-fair trade chocolate is contributing in ways to their oppression. In my American “wealth” mentality, I think that I should be able to have my chocolate and not worry about where it comes from, if there is not a free trade alternative. But, buying chocolate that is harvested by oppressed people is having a part in oppression.

Then I read Psalm 146:5-7, “Blessed is he whose help is the God of Jacob…who executes justice for the oppressed, who gives food for the hungry…” And I considered that oppressed people are often hungry. And not hungry like I am hungry for lunch right now, they are hungry, as in didn’t have an adequate breakfast and don’t have a meal to look forward to. God gives justice to these people, God cares about justice and when I buy “my” chocolate and know it may come from oppressed people, I am not caring about people the way God cares about people.

15 comments:

Alison said...

Thanks for the post... I often struggle with these same issues and usually end up wishing I was more ignorant so I wouldn't have to wrestle with these issues. (Bryan let me know recently that a certain brand of bananas oppresses the workers...I don't know the details but now whenever I bring my bananas home and see the sticker, I wonder if I am helping oppress the poor). how do you determine what products to buy or not to buy? And how do you know if the "fair trade" label really means what it is supposed to? I'd love to hear more thoughts from you on this subject.

heather said...

Alison~

I wonder these same questions! I don't really have any more answers. I have wondered if the fair trade label can be trusted, but I guess I will trust it until I know differently.

One thing I have been thinking about more is buying locally. Yesterday I was at an apple orchard and the farmer and his wife there were wonderful. I was thinking that the nice thing about buying local is fresher food and I can actually see the place where the food is grown and see employees that are treated well. But, buying local is not always possible.

I too have wished for ignorance, but I guess I just try to do my best and not worry about it. I can get really bothered by things like this, so I hope my, "don't worry" does not sound flippant.

I will try to see what more I can come up with and post on that down the road, but it may just be links to other places that are more knowledgable than I am.

Marianne Elixir said...

Oh we have these same dilemmas. I am fortunate to be able to buy most of my produce, dairy, and meat locally. And I have given up chocolate altogether (well, I do have one brand that is made without sugar that I allow myself occasionally, when motherhood is taking its toll).
What brand of bananas?!
The world has become a complicated place where "love thy neighbor" is nearly impossible due to globalism, where EVERYONE is my neighbor. How does one care about the whole world?

Marianne Elixir said...

Good news. The chocolate I allow myself occasionally, is not only made from whole unrefined sugar (rapadura), but is also organic and free trade. The company is Rapunzel, and only their semi-sweet varieties use rapadura. http://www.rapunzel.com/
It is also nearly $4 a bar, but that helps me only eat one little square a day. So, that's like $0.33 a day on chocolate if I really need it.

Alison said...

It was Chiquita... I guess they were giving money to some terrorist group back in April...I don't know all the details, but you can look online and find more info.

heather said...

Thanks for sharing about the chocolate bar. I was wondering about that. That is the same brand as the cocoa I just bought!

That stinks about the bananas! That is one item that I just can not buy locally and we eat lots of them.

Bella Art Girl said...

I totally appreciated this post. Tucker and i have been trying to make those conscious choices and though we are not always sucessful in all our groceries and wares it has changed the way we live, shop, etc. And it is a great conversation for our children to enter into. Watching the Walmart documentary has radically changed Lily/our lives and also the one on genetically modified foods and the issues farmers are facing. Lots of stuff to think about.-thanks again

heather said...

Bella~
I would like to hear more about the changes your family has made. Maybe a post on your blog??

We are wanting to be more conscientious in our purchases as well, but sometimes it can feel overwhelming. I enjoy reading about other families that are on this same journey. We can all learn from one another.

Heidi said...

I struggle with the guilt and often wish I was ignorant. :) I know there are so many things that I buy that I shouldn't, but I'm not sure if I want to know, ya know? My latest thing is cringing every time I buy something made in China.

The best I can do right now is to change one or two things at a time and let the guilt go for the other stuff. As long as I am progressing in the right direction...

heather said...

Heidi~
I too want to be ignorant of some things and I too cringe when buyng items from China. But I think your perspective is a good one-do what you can, little by little and don't get overwhelmed.

Heidi said...

Hi, again! :) I just wanted you to know that you inspired me to post. If nothing else, it was good for me to think past the guilt and into a specific plan for action!

http://mthopeacademy.blogspot.com/2007/10/guilt-ignorance-and-responsibility.html

Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

O my goodness. This is one I have never heard! Thank you for getting the word out. I am going to visit the other links. I need to be more informed. ((Hugs))

Beth Twist said...

Okay, so you will have to forgive the source, but I was curious about this topic, being new to me as well, so I googled it. Here is a link to an article that helps to explain more about fair trade and what it looks like in the US: http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/0929/p13s02-wmcn.html

Beth Twist said...

And here is another site: http://transfairusa.org/content/WhereToBuy/

This one shows where you can find fair trade products, and even has a search bar for finding a location near you.

Beth Twist said...

Okay, sorry about the number of comments, but I have one more site for you all to look at: http://www.boyds.com/coffee/sustainability/sustain1.html

Boyds is a Portland based, family-owned coffee company, and happens to be where I met my husband 11 years ago (he still has a career there). The above article very clearly states what fair trade means in the coffee industry.