Monday, May 17, 2010

How Do You Define "Healthy"?

I dug in my archives of unfinished blog posts for this one. I have considered writing about food and nutrition, but I am certainly not an expert. I am just a wife and mom who loves food and aims to provide healthy meals for my family. As I have learned more about nutrition and healthy eating, I have realized that there are plenty of different ideas about what is considered healthy. Some people consider low fat frozen meals healthy. Others consider ice cream healthy, if it is made without artificial ingredients or preservatives. Some people eat only organic foods and others aim to eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables regardless of whether those items carry the "organic" label or not. Some people drink tap water and consider bottled water a waste, other people declare the ills of tap water. I could go on and on about different ideas on what different people consider healthy. And I am sure most of us hold ideas that change at some point in our lives.

To consider: How do you define "healthy"? Are there people that you consider to be healthy? What about their choices do you appreciate? What has shaped your definition of "healthy"? How have your ideas about what is healthy evolved?

4 comments:

Shell in your Pocket said...

I think deep down we all know what healthy is...

sandy toe

Alison said...

Good question. :) For me, healthy means moderation, not excess. And I figure the closer it is to the way GOD made it, the better it probably is for us. :) (For example, if I had to choose, I would rather eat a non-organic vegetable than an organic cookie.) You are right, though--There are so many different ideas out there!

Jen Rouse said...

Good question! There really is such a lot of discussion about what constitutes "healthy" or not. I think that what Alison said--the closer it is to the way God made it, the healthier it probably is--is probably my current working definition of healthy. Foods with fewer added ingredients and preservatives, foods cooked from scratch with real ingredients.

heather said...

I used to believe that low fat products were healthy. Over time my beliefs have evolved to where I certainly believe that the closer a food is to the way God made it, the healthier. I like you stated that, Alison. I agree with the cook from scratch with real ingredients approach. Of course real life sometimes calls or convenience items, but overall all I strive to avoid prepackaged/prepared food items.