Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Good, Clean Body Care Products

The One Change Per Month focus for February is to consider changing to beauty products that are produced without extra chemicals and junk. This process has been a long slow one for me. I love make-up and perfume (I know, I know, it is supposedly toxic, but I just can't let it go!) and all sorts of pretty, yummy-smelling things. Over time, I have changed some products and others I am not sure I will ever change. And that is okay. I am finding what works. I still want to enjoy fun products, so, I look for less toxic (seriously, click on the link here and look at the products, maybe you can find some you own), affordable products that are made by businesses that care about the integrity of their products. One of my favorite businesses that fits this criteria is Prairieland Herbs.

When you find a good thing, you just have to share about it! Sometimes multiple times. So, I am sharing, again, about how much I adore Prairieland Herbs. I still get the same thrill when a box of their goodies arrives on my doorstep.

Some favorites of mine are:
  • Shampoo bars-love these! They are a staple in our house. My boys like the peppermint/tea tree shampoo bar. Which is my favorite? I can't even choose! Aloe Fresh, Chamomile Citrus, maybe, or Fragrant Tresses, or it could be Rose Geranium...
  • Before & After Sun Lotion-a wonderfully, creamy lotion. I adore the rose/lavender scent, the price (hello-$6!?!) and that it has sun protection in it.
  • Facial Serum-so soothing, perfect, even for my oily skin.
  • Facial Cream-smells yummy and leaves my skin feeling wonderful. At night, I cleanse with the Dead Sea Mud bar, use the serum and this facial cream. C always tells me I smell so good after washing my face at night. Yup, not only does this stuff really moisturize, but it smells great.
  • Lip balm-these are the favorite chap stick around here (except for L who is currently into the M&M lip gloss that she was given for Christmas, but as soon as she eats all of that runs out of that, I have a Coconut lip balm from Prairieland herbs waiting for her). I keep the tea tree/peppermint on hand for my boys who seem to regularly battle chapped lips and for any cold sores that pop up.
  • Lipgloss in Coral-This is a new product for me. I had eyed the lipgloss numerous times and finally decided to give it a try. Wonderful. It just is. First, the price is super at $5. It is called lipgloss, but it reminds me more of a super moisturizing, sheer lipstick. The color is just right. The sort of beauty product that is humble and only makes ones lips look wonderful without causing people to think, "oh, she has lipstick on." It is the color I would want my lips to naturally be and when I am wearing it, it is not overly obvious I have product on my lips.
  • Dead Sea Mud facial soap. My favorite facial soap. Ever. Great for oily skin.
  • Healing Wand-I always have these on hand. This has replaced all other first aid topical ointments. It really is super stuff. We use it often on scrapes, cuts and all manner of owies. And honestly, $3 for the small wand and $8.50 for the large? Such a good deal!
  • Lotion bars. Another favorite of mine.
  • Whipped Shea Butter. Again, another favorite.
I have to stop! So many great products. I can't list every product and flavor that I like! But, I will mention one more.
  • Solid perfumes. I am branching out and trying some non-toxic scent. I ordered the Wise Woman scent, which is totally different than my normal perfume(s) that I wear. C loves it because it smells like the facial moisturizer that I sometimes use. And the price, $6-seriously, how reasonable is that? Next time I order I think I may try a few other scents and may even mix a couple to see how I like the combinations. I am still testing this to see how long the scent lasts, but I think that if I layered the scent by pairing it with a lotion bar or whipped shea in a similar scent it may last well enough.

What else do I appreciate about Prairieland Herbs? I appreciate knowing who makes the products I use and their commitment to high quality at reasonable prices. I appreciate that they seek to use Fair Trade ingredients when possible.

4 comments:

Jen Rouse said...

Thanks for the great reviews, with the prices. Seeing the prices, it's nice to know that a lot of these things are not any more expensive than some of the things I normally buy at the grocery store. I'll have to keep them in mind!

Jen Rouse said...

Thanks for the great reviews, with the prices. Seeing the prices, it's nice to know that a lot of these things are not any more expensive than some of the things I normally buy at the grocery store. I'll have to keep them in mind!

Jessica said...

I very much enjoy reading reviews from people I know. I've been (slowly) trying to go more natural in our household, too. It's a hard balancing act for me - price, availability, does-it-work, is-it-really-more-natural, price, etc. :) I like the idea of the perfume bar. You'll have to update us on how long it lasts for you.

heather said...

Yes, the prices at Prairieland Herbs are very good. The shipping can add up pretty quickly, so I tend to wait and order a bunch of stuff at one time.

I know, Jessica, it can be a real process to make those changes. I have posted some on that in my "One Change Per Month" posts. Those are of to the right of my blog. Some changes are easy and inexpensive, some are not. We have made a lot of changes in our home, but it has happened slowly over several years.