For this month's One Change a Month, I have two changes. Not that they both have to be implemented this month, they were just both on my mind. I know, I call this One Change a Month and I have two. That's how it goes sometimes.
Make meat a side dish instead of the main attraction in a meal. Meat can be a great source of protein, but most of us eat more of it than we need. By making the portion smaller, we are then eating an amount that better meets the needs of out bodies and by eating less, sometimes we can afford better quality. I snapped the above photo because it shows how the fruit and vegetables fill up most of the plate.
This suggestion, of making meat portions smaller, isn't unique to me, I have read it in other places. Yet, it still took some practice to get in the habit of it. It is easier to serve smaller portions of meat when a yummy fruit or veggie fills up the extra space. By filling up the space with good, healthy foods that are typically enjoyed by your family, no one feels deprived. Instead of feeling bummed to get a smaller potion of meat, there is some excitement of getting a big serving of, for example, pineapple! That is how it can work, anyway. Every family is different. And sometimes there are still complaints from my kids over having to eat some veggie, but I still like to believe we are headed in the right direction.
Some healthy fruit,veggie, grain and legume ideas:
- sweet potato fries
- bean dip-make it yourself or check ingredients to make sure it doesn't have junk in it
- salads of all sorts
- fruit smoothies
- fresh fruit
- berries
- this black bean salad that I just learned about
- raw carrot sticks
- chips (look for a healthy tortilla chip, I am not talking about Doritos) with fresh guacamole
- roasted red potatoes
- hummus and pita bread slices
- edamame
- brown rice cooked in broth
- veggies or all sorts, fresh and cooked
Okay, there have got to be a ton more ideas for healthy fruit and veggie based additions to meals. Any ideas? Feel free to share in the comments section.

1 comment:
Yum! Great idea, especially for the summer when my garden gives me all the side dishes I want! Much cheaper on the budget too....
I'm eager for my garden to get going. I've been putting off on menu planning because I want to start planning meals around what I'm getting from my own little "farm."
Post a Comment