Monday, August 2, 2010

One Change Per Month: Recycle Can and Trash Can

One can for trash, one for recyclable materials, like newspaper.
Notice how full the recycle can is and how empty the trash can is?
Posted by Picasa
A more recent change that we made in our family was to place two trash cans in several rooms of our house. We have this two can set up in our office, schoolroom, and bathrooms. One can is used for trash and one for recycling. It is a visual reminder to recycle and it makes recycling super easy. The trash can and recycle can are conveniently located and easy to use.

By recycling we save money on our garbage bill because we are able to use the smallest and least expensive garbage can. In our area, recycling pick up is free. Simply put, it pays to recycle and having two cans makes sorting super easy. This change is a painless one that really pays off!

2 comments:

Heidi said...

I recycle a lot, but it ended up being in a huge pile in the kitchen in front of the mud room door, which was a huge pain. I *just* cleaned out under the kitchen sink and bought two garbage cans that would fit under there. One for garbage and one for recycling. I like the idea of having that in multiple rooms, though! I'm cleaning out the school room this week, so I'll add a recycling bin while I'm at it...

heather said...

Our recycling used to be a huge mess and such a pain to sort. This has really helped.