Monday, May 24, 2010

Know Your Goal!

Know your goal! For our family, I decided, about 3 and a half years ago, to make purposeful goals toward living a healthier and more environmentally responsible lifestyle. Up to that point, I had all these ideals that I wanted to reach. They felt out of my grasp and random. Then I set some goals for change. Other people may not give a hoot about the environment. And that is fine. Define your own goals and work toward them. Or, if defining goals is not working, then start making a few changes and over time maybe your goals will define themselves.

Sometimes making the changes we want can seem to be too expensive. I want to break down some changes our family has made, not just relating to food, but also changes relating to a more environmentally responsible lifestyle. I want to share how and why we have made some of these changes. Again, not because everyone has to make these changes, but because I know how it felt when we first started. It felt huge and expensive and overwhelming at times. So, this is for other people who may want to make some lifestyle changes, but want some input on what that can look like. I think that as we look at the growing health ailments and the numbers of people on prescription medication and our healthcare system...it seems wise to consider improving our diets. I have heard it said before that you pay for healthy foods now or you pay for medical visits later. That certainly isn't always the case, but sometimes it is the case. Many, although certainly not all, of our health concerns can be reduced or maybe even eliminated by healthier lifestyle choices. This is an area that I still have so much to learn about. By making small changes, over time, it has helped us to be in a better place than we were a few years ago.

To Consider:
What goals do you have? If you don't have any defined goals, what are some ideas you may have about what your goals might be? Are there health concerns that run in your family that, you believe, could be helped by an improved diet?

1 comment:

Jen Rouse said...

Well, I have a family history of high blood pressure, heart disease and Type II diabetes. My uncle died just last year of complications directly relating to obesity and diabetes. For me, getting to and maintaining and healthy weight is really important--partly, I'll admit, for reasons of vanity, but also because I don't want to deal with those health problems. My girls are still tiny and petite for their age, but I'd hate to see them struggle with that as they get older as well. So feeding them (and me and Eric) healthy meals is something I really want to make a priority.