Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The Better Hour

This morning we watched this superb documentary on William Wilberforce. It is available through instant view on Netflix. I would certainly recommend previewing the opening part prior to showing to young children. There are some disturbing pictures of the mistreatment of slaves.

Wilberforce was a man who dedicated his life, at the cost of his health, to help abolish the slave trade in Britain. It is an amazing story of the dedication and perseverance of a man of God. It is certainly worth watching! I also liked the passing comment that Wilberforce was "classically educated."

This movie would be great to watch along with the movie Amazing Grace. Both movies could spur some beneficial conversation as well as reflection on buying fair trade products. It is one thing to watch a movie about events in the past, but it is important, as well, to consider our own lives. It is valuable to consider the areas where oppression runs rampant in our time.

What are some areas where I may, inadvertently, aid the oppression of others? It is good for families to consider what they are willing to do without if a product is produced through the oppression of others. Or if the fair trade alternative is more expensive, am I willing to consume less of that product so I can afford fair trade? These aren't easy choices, but then, when we consider the cost of some items on human life and dignity, it seems worth considering. If a man, like Wilberforce, could give his all to fight oppression, can't I examine my own life, even if it means facing some uncomfortable realities?

I plan to post more about this in the One Change Per Month series. It can feel super overwhelming to make changes like this, but by breaking it down into manageable pieces, a little bit of change, over a period of time, can add up to some fairly good size changes.

No comments: